The Weber Go-Anywhere gas grill is in one word, a disappointment. Usually, the Weber name ensures a high-quality product with great features, durability and power. It is practically synonymous with top-quality grilling. Surprisingly, and sadly, the Go-Anywhere just falls short. Weber had a smart idea converting their massively successful, legendary, charcoal version of the Go-Anywhere into a gas version. The charcoal original is a staple in the industry and a favorite among non-gas grillers. If you can use charcoal buy this grill. It is top-notch and will serve you like a champ.
But if you’re on this site, we know you really aren’t looking for a charcoal grill. You’re looking for gas. And you should know that the Weber Go-Anywhere gas grill just isn’t going to measure up. With this version, it really feels like Weber has cheaped out on all the important features. And for the $70+ price tag, you should expect more. Common issues grillers have encountered with this grill are: the wire gauge legs are thin and bend easily, the flavorer bars have been nixed, the grate resembles an oven broiler pan and doesn’t provide a true grilling experience, the regulator doesn’t last more than 12 months and the igniter is often faulty.
Our take? Save your money. We have done the research and compiled a list of a couple alternatives that we think you should consider over the Weber when looking for a compact, budget-friendly, portable grilling experience. Here are our top picks:
Best Alternatives to Weber Go-Anywhere Gas Grills
Cuisinart Petit Gourmet Portable Gas Grill
Unlike the Weber Go-Anywhere, the Cuisinart Petit Gourmet, is a portable gas grill with 145 sq. inches of grilling space and a stainless steel burner that has a whopping 5,500 BTUs. Even though the Weber Go-Anywhere gas grill has a slightly larger cooking area, the Cuisinart Petit Gourmet performs better among consumers who praise it’s high-quality construction, top-notch cooking ability and capability of cooking for 4 to 6 people at once. This is a great little grill for your camping or picnic needs. It even has a briefcase style-carrying handle for transporting it with ease. This little gas grill is not trying to replace your home gas grill, it is a portable option for people who like to camp, hike, picnic, etc. It even comes with an optional telescoping stand so it can stand on its own if you need it to. This way, you can still grill at a comfortable height, without having the need to find a table to steady it on. The Cuisinart Petit Gourmet is great for portable grilling and definitely worth the $125.99 on Amazon. It even has a 4 out of 5 star rating with more than 200 customer reviews. It is definitely worth buying from Amazon and here’s why:
- All the reviews are like having hundreds of really good friends give you their personal experience with the grill, then taking all of that personal experience and giving it a star rating. You’re buying quality when there are hundreds of fans of the grill.
- A friendly UPS driver will deliver it right to your door. No waiting in line, no hauling it in your car. No sore muscles or achy back the next day.
- Amazon has the best price 99% of the time. Amazon constantly watches competitor pricing and makes sure you get the best deal. They do a ton of business and take advantage of economies of scale, which means you get the savings!
- FREE shipping. Enough said.
- Returns are easy. Amazon recently shipped a car, and they ship a ton of large items, all day, every day. If they can ship a car, rest assured, you will get your grill in perfect condition. BUT if for any reason it comes damaged, it is super easy to return. Just print out a UPS label, slap it on the box and a friendly UPS driver will pick it up, free of charge. This is way easier than waiting in a return line at Home Depot and talking with a bored, angsty teenage sales clerk.
Product Details for the Grill Geeks
- Portable gas grill with 145-square-inch grilling area and telescoping stand
- Accommodates from 4 to 6 people at once; holds grill at ideal cooking height
- Powerful 5,500 BTU stainless-steel burner and even-heating porcelain-enameled grate
- Stand sets up and packs away in seconds; integrated lid lock keeps lid secure
- Pronounced briefcase-style carrying handle; weighs 17 pounds
Char-Broil 465133010-DI Table-Top Gas Grill
Another great portable grill that we recommend over the Go-Anywhere is the Char Broil 465133010. This is a nifty little powerhouse that is small, compact, and easy to use. A perfect portable grill to bring on those camping trips with your family, or a fishing trip with your buddies. If having a larger cooking area is a must have for you, this guy might be the one for you. The Char-Broil boasts 187 sq. inches of chrome plated cooking grate, compared to Weber’s 160 sq. inches of cooking space, which can fry about 8 burgers at once. Definitely on the larger side for a portable grill. It is also fairly easy to disassemble and assemble again, so you won’t have to worry about transport and set-up. Heat capacity is about 11,000 BTUs, not the highest heat capacity ratio, but definitely not the worst either, and grillers find that it does the job well. And the best part? The Char-Broil is a steal! Only $34.99 on Amazon, it definitely makes you want to bring it home, whether you need it or not. The Char Broil 465133010-DI is more affordable than the Weber Go-Anywhere gas grill in terms of price, and outperforms that grill in every way. This is the perfect example of a quality grill at an affordable price that can’t be beat. Definitely worth your attention if you are considering buying a portable device.
Product Details for Grill Geeks
- Designed for on-the-go, anywhere grilling: the legs fold over the top of the grill to lock the lid in place, and heat-resistant handles mean you don’t have to wait for the grill to cool down to move it
- Cook up to 8 hamburgers at one time on the 187 sq. inch chrome-plated cooking grate that’s easy to clean and dishwasher safe
- 11,000 BTU burner, designed for use with 16.4 oz. or 14.1 oz. propane cylinders, just hook up gas and light
- Quality steel construction and a durable, high-temperature finish help prevent rust to extend the life of the grill
- Measures 24″L x 12″D x 15″H, weighs 10 lbs
Remember, these grills are not meant for big occasions or gatherings, but they are perfect for outdoor trips and adventures. There are also a lot of other top-notch tabletop gas grills available that you should look into if you are interested in a compact, portable grill.
Incoming search terms:
- weber go anywhere gas grill vs Cuisinart portable gas grill