Imagine… You push the ignition and fire up your shiny, new gas grill. You pull two thick, perfectly cut, deep red steaks out of their packaging and lay them on the grill. Watching them sizzle, juices pooling, you turn them with your tongs to sear the other side. The smell of the freshly seared meat makes your mouth water as you watch them cook and sip a cold beer. You pull them off the grill, put them on a plate, and hand one to the gorgeous woman sitting across from you.
You cut a generous piece, take a bite and immediately spit it out. It tastes terrible! The outside tastes like CHAR and the inside is ice cold. The cheap grill that teenage pothead sold you at Walmart ruined your steaks…
Buying a grill at the $200 price point, you can easily get burned. There are a ton of poorly-made, low-performing grills on the market, loaded with cheap gimmicks to make you think you’re getting a deal. Walk into any Walmart, chat with any uninformed sales person and they will try and seduce you with every irrelevant grill feature known to man. BUT these grills are all talk and no action. They won’t cook your meat well and will end up as a major disappointment, collecting dust in your garage.
At the $200 price point, you are looking for a basic grill that does one all-important thing: GRILL. Forget all of the other gimmicky features. For $200 bucks you will have to sacrifice some of the add-ons for grill quality, but that’s what it’s all about, right?
I have carefully researched the best grills in the under $200 range. Way more than that dude with the ponytail working at Walmart. Let me tell you why they are the best.
Top Gas Grills Under $200
#1 Choice – Char-Broil 480 4 Burner Gas Grill
Char-Broil has been a major player in the outdoor cooking industry for a long time and they are definitely a well-known brand in the grill world. Char Broil has also been consistent as a top brand especially for low-budget gas grills. They make great quality grills and even though this is one of their more affordable options, it is, without a doubt, a quality grill. Char Broil tops the category for best gas grills under 200 dollars for one all-important reason: it will grills your steaks, burgers, chicken and hotdogs as well as some of the more expensive grills.
First on the list is the Char Broil 480 4 burner gas grill. Among all three, this gas grill is bigger in size and features. It is also one of our choice for best 4 burner gas grills. It is a 4 burner gas grill that offers 480 primary cooking space and 180 secondary warming area. You can cook more with this baby. You can grill around 8 burgers at the same time while heating those garnishes and sauces with the warming area to make your dishes look and taste more restaurant level of cooking. This grill can also heat up over 40,000 BTU, which is very efficient for its size, while the side burner produces 10,000 BTUs.
The Char-Broil 480 have stayed away from its classic all-black design and now comes with some stainless steel parts. This way, it has better construction quality and better prevention from getting rust easily. Although the grill feels heavy and has a sturdy built, it is fairly easy to assemble all of its parts. So if you find this at your doorstep, you can go and grill right away! From around $294, you can get this all the way down to $199 only from Amazon. It also got a high rating score of 4.3 out of 5 stars, customers have been really happy with this purchase.
So if you want a dependable long lasting grill, this one is the way to go. We also think you should buy it on Amazon and here is why:
- All the reviews are like having hundreds of really good friends give you their personal experience with the grill, then taking all of that personal experience and giving it a star rating. You’re buying quality when there are hundreds of fans of the grill.
- A friendly UPS driver will deliver it right to your door. No waiting in line, no hauling it in your car. No sore muscles or achy back the next day.
- Amazon has the best price 99% of the time. Amazon constantly watches competitor pricing and makes sure you get the best deal. They do a ton of business and take advantage of economies of scale, which means you get the savings!
- FREE shipping. Enough said.
- Returns are easy. Amazon recently shipped a car, and they ship a ton of large items, all day, every day. If they can ship a car, rest assured, you will get your grill in perfect condition. BUT if for any reason it comes damaged, it is super easy to return. Just print out a UPS label, slap it on the box and a friendly UPS driver will pick it up, free of charge. This is way easier than waiting in a return line at Home Depot and talking with a bored, angsty teenage sales clerk.
No other grill compares for under $200. Be the man, get yourself this grill.
Product Details for the Grill Geeks
- Char-Broil four burner, 40,000 BTU gas grill with 10,000 BTU lidded side burner
- 480 square inches of primary cooking on porcelain-coated cast iron grates plus 180 square inches of secondary cooking on porcelain-coated swing away
- Large metal side shelves offer lots of workspace and two 7″ wheels offer easy portability
- Stainless steel lid, handle, control panel, and fascia’s add style and durability to this model
- Electronic ignition system offers a reliable spark with every push
#2 Choice – Char- Broil Classic 300 with Single Door
The Char Broil Classic 300 comes in smaller package than its brother but has sufficient power to heat your grill real hot. This is a two-burner gas grill with 30,000 BTUs, which gives you adequate power for the size. This is great for you if you only have little room to fit those big sized gas grills.
This is an ideal grill for a small family, it has plenty of space to grill on it’s 420 sq. inches of cooking area with 300 sq. inches of primary cooking space and a 120 sq. inch warming rack. This is a compact-size grill, so it’s easy enough to roll around with the help of 4 well-made casters.
This grill doesn’t come with a bunch of fancy features but it’s main job is to GRILL, and it does that one job well. If you’re in the market for an affordable grill this is the one we recommend that you buy.
This grill has a list price of $219.00, but you can always get it for less online. It’s available on Amazon for only $179.00, a great price for a great grill. It is rated 4 out of 5 stars and is also one of the best 2-burner gas grills available. Do yourself a favor and buy this grill, use it, and enjoy it.
Product Details for the Grill Geeks
- Char-Broil 2 burner, 30,000 BTU gas grill
- 300 square inches of primary cooking on porcelain-coated cast iron grates plus 120 square inches of secondary cooking on porcelain-coated swing away
- Metal side shelves fold down for easy storage of the grill
- Durable porcelain-coated steel lid and firebox, designed to withstand the elements
- Electronic ignition system offers a reliable spark every time
#3 Choice – Char-Broil 26,500 BTU 2-Burner Gas Grill
Last, but definitely not least on our list is the Char-Broil 26,500 BTU gas grill, another dependable classic from Char- Broil. Whether you are an avid griller or just a dabbler when the mood strikes, this grill is a great option. It features two aluminized burners, porcelain-coated wire cooking grates, and a durable porcelain steel lid and firebox. Each burner has its own control for customized cooking, and the grill has handy push button ignition. It has 26,500 BTUs of cooking power, and 280 sq. inches of cooking space
The main drawback we have noticed with this grill is that the assembly is tricky and the directions aren’t clear enough. Assembly aside, consumer reviews generally agree that this guy does what he is meant to do once he is up and running: grill. The cook quality is well-praised and grillers are happy with the grill’s performance in this area, especially for the low price tag. This option is a great stepping stone grill, the perfect way to get into grilling without shelling out too much money.
This grill is available at the incredibly reasonable list price of $129.99. If you purchase on Amazon, you can scoop it up for a steal at around $95.00. If your looking to do some casual grilling every so often this might be a great starter option for you.. Overall it has a satisfactory 3.6 out of 5 star rating on Amazon. This is the cheapest grill we will recommend. Any cheaper and you’re going to lose major cooking quality. If you are really want something easy on the wallet with adequate cooking ability, this one is the way to go.
Product Details for the Grill Geeks
- 26,500 BTU
- 280 square inch cooking area
- Durable porcelain steel lid and firebox
- Piezo push button ignition
- Full front panel and 6” wheels
Whichever of these 3 grills under 200 dollars you do decide to buy, I believe you’ll be pretty happy with your purchase AND the thickness of your wallet. These are 3 of the best and affordable gas grills out there in the market and you can rest easy that you aren’t being sold a gimmicky piece of plastic from an uninformed employee with no stake in your grilling experience. Buy smart, grill on.
Other Noteworthy Grills
|Product||Gas Grills||Rate||Dimensions (inch)||BTU/hr||Cooking Area (sq.-inch)||Positive Reviews||Negative Reviews|
|Char-Griller 3001 Grillin' Pro Gas Grill||4||50 x 25 x 42||40,800 Main Burner|
12,000 Side Burner
•192 secondary area
|•Large cooking surface|
•Gets hot easily and cooks evenly
|•Takes time and quite hard to assemble
•Some parts get faulty and rusty quite easily
|Char-Broil 26,500 BTU 2-Burner Gas Grill||3.6||19 X 49 X 41.5||26,500||280||•Grills up nicely|
•Adequate price for getting the job done
•Large cooking surface
|•Food gets stuck
•Lightweight and flimsy
•Sometime parts delivered don't match, won't line up correctly or missing
•Hard to assemble
|Coleman Road Trip Grill LXE||4.4||33 x 19 x 14||20,000||285||•Cooks food on low heat and remains hot|
•Perfect size, and fits easily into small spaces
•Easy to assemble
|•A bit difficult to clean
•since it's narrow and top heavy it may tend to tip over on uneven ground
|Weber Q 100 Gas Grill||4.7||28.3 x 15.9 x 15.2||8500||189||•Easy to clean|
•Small but capable for 16.4 oz tank
|•Larger tank (16.4 oz tank) and the Weber hose won't work
•Customer service wasn't very accommodating
•Wasn't hot enough to sear fish or meat
•Safety valve is exceedingly temperamental
•Regulator and valve may not work too long.
Incoming search terms:
- best gas grill under $200